Saturday, January 9, 2010

In Case You Didn't Know

I have been pretty reclusive recently and I just thought some (few, I'm pretty short on "buddies" right now anyway) people might wonder why I am so anti-social lately. Well, I have a good excuse. I submitted my application to the MBA program at University of Utah back in November, kicked back my heels and waited for their decision. Honestly I didn't think I had very good odds of getting in. People are applying like crazy to MBA schools right now, and the schools are able to pick and choose the cream-of-the-crop. With my average GPA and slightly-better-than-average GMAT score, I didn't expect much. To my surprise, however, about three days before Christmas, I got a letter from the school saying my application shows "promise", and they would consider admitting me with my current application, or I could "greatly enhance (my) chances of being accepted by re-taking the GMAT". I assume they want me to get a better score so I can bring the school's average UP rather than DOWN. The deadline, however, is January 15, which gave me slightly more than three weeks to brush up and get ready. Ever since, I have put in several hours of study per day and done little else. I've passed up opportunities to go skiing for free, I haven't hung out with anyone except my wife (we went to Sherlock Holmes last week, good show!), and I've been stuck mostly in my bedroom studying except for the occasional football or basketball game. Its taken some self-discipline to keep this up with so much intensity for a few weeks now (I really wanted to go skiing!) but it is seriously paying off. My original GMAT score was 560, a little bit better than the average score. My practice tests, which are a pretty reliable indication of how well you will do on the actual test, have gone steadily up. My most recent (yesterday) was 610. I feel pretty confident that if I can perform like that on the actual test, I will get into the MBA program at U of U for Fall 2010. Just got a few days left! I take the test on Thursday at 8:00 AM. I hope my nerves don't get me...

2 comments:

Amberly said...

We're really crossing our fingers for you! We'll keep you in our prayers too because it would be awful for you to do less than your best just because of nerves.

Beau says "do the math until you don't have to think about it anymore." I know, easier said than done. I remember looking at a few problems on the test and thinking, "I know how to do this, but right now it just isn't coming to me."

By the way, I just barely saw your post with the music. Glad you got that together! I'll enjoy listening to those. Gotta say though, you're a total copycat with Dreams... that was on mine last year! Chelsea copied me with a few of hers too, so I guess I'm just a trend setter!

Love you!

Kristina said...

Good luck!!!!