Saturday, January 9, 2010

Avatar

Movies will never be the same.

I don't post very often, let alone in the same day, but I did not plan on going to the movies earlier today. We decided to take a break from studying and go on a date tonight. Since we saw Tamara's movie last time (Sherlock Holmes), I got to pick this time. I had heard good things about Avatar, but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to witness.

Avatar was a-m-a-z-i-n-g. The movie is a thrill ride from beginning to end. From the minute it started, I was hooked. The whole movie is three hours long, and for a movie to be so bold as to suggest it deserves three hours of my time is quite presumptuous if you ask me. Not only did Avatar deserve three hours of my day, but it changed my freaking life. Every movie made from this day on will have a standard set by Avatar. I will ask myself the question "How good was this movie, on a scale of 1 to Avatar?" after seeing movies from now on.

Actually, the first 20 minutes or so I wasn't sure what to think of it. It seemed a little overblown and over-scripted. When the plot began to develop, though, and the world of Pandora opened up on the 3D-Movie screen, I just wished I was there. By the way, don't bother seeing the movie if you don't see it in 3D at least. If you can see it in IMAX I personally guarantee you the ride of your life. Seeing it on a regular screen just won't do it justice.

The plot is not the most original -- no spoilers here, don't worry. A marine is deployed via Avatar (his mind is placed in a body not his own) to infiltrate an alien race in order to persuade them by peaceful means to move off their homeland, which is full of a valuable mineral the humans want to mine. Of course, the marine decides he likes being an alien and the aliens don't want to move. Violence ensues, and it climaxes with -- hands down -- the most incredible battle scene I have ever watched (LOTR included, sorry). The ending is good, leaves plenty for your imagination and closes all loopholes I needed to have filled.

But even without the most original plot, it certainly kept my (rapt) attention. Got my adrenaline going a few times too. To end, I will say that I am usually satisfied seeing a movie once in the theater. I likely will never have a strong desire to see that particular movie again. LOTR and the Dark Knight are the only two that come to mind that I actually wanted to see a second time in theaters after seeing them once already. Walking out of the theater, I was already plotting out my budget (time and $$) for the trip up to Salt Lake to see it at the IMAX. I will be talking about Avatar for a long time, I think.

6 comments:

Joel said...

I hope to go see it again as well. I saw it on a normal screen, but to make it worse it was NOT a DLP, or even a real Dolby Digital theater - at least they didn't have any of the usual techno-previews like the top theaters do. And to top it off, the audio popped and went out of stereo several times during the show. So, my theater sucked.

However, I don't know if I'll really enjoy the 3D Version either. I can't see normal movies in 3D so I don't have high hopes for my eyes, but I'd spend the $12 to give it a try. It is DEFINITELY a big screen movie.

Amberly said...

We saw it 3D this week and had lots of fun! It's SO PRETTY! Personally, I'm shocked that you didn't give us a tirade against its blatant liberal slant! I have a hard time with any movie that portrays American soldiers as the bad guys, especially in such an outrageous fashion.

Worst line: "They've already killed their Mother, now they're trying to kill ours!" Oh, and "Unobtainium?" Whomever came up with that should be shot.

But if you can get past that (and it's beautiful enough to forgive a lot of crap) then it's an awesome movie! But probably not among my favoritest... I liked Sherlock Holmes much better for the content and the acting.

Ryan the Man said...

Ok, yeah, good point. The "agenda" was pretty obvious. I could reconcile with it because there really are human beings who behave as portrayed in the movie, and I am absolutely against it. Part of the agenda is that we are destroying our planet in the name of industry. Well, back in the '70s and '60s there was some degree of truth to that, and if it weren't for certain conservation efforts a lot of the natural treasures we have would be strip mines that we never really needed. Pushing the agenda now just makes for an interesting and politically irrelevant story, so I was able to let myself be entertained by it. Global warming has become so blatantly obvious anyway, with Nebraska's current temperature so high above average (0 degree highs happens all the time, I understand).

The soldiers behavior was so over the top that I was ok with it. Sure there are some that are like that, I'm sure, but being so over the top made it work for me.

Dan said...

I want to go see it (when I find 3 hours), but that is not my comment.

ALL the CG is Autodesk Maya!!! That is right, people like me made it possible :-P

AND My sister's boyfriend works for the animation studio that did it. He was called in to be the butt model for the main charater (so I can't watch it). He also personally decided to do some scene where the guy is walking in the tight pants with the thong underwear and he has to pick his wedgie. (Haven't seen it so I don't really know what that means)

Be jealous.

Ryan the Man said...

HAHAHA!! I remember the wedgie part. That is disgusting, thanks for the visual you disgusting person.

Unknown said...

Yea it was good...but it was no "Dances With Wolves".