Thursday, April 30, 2009

No Biking...

Its been a while since my last bike ride.  A couple of weeks ago I rode up onto the Headlands by myself, but I didn't get far before the clip on the bottom of one of my my shoes that attaches to my pedal lost a screw and got stuck. That made it very difficult to continue pedaling, so I just coasted back home. Bummer. But I did see a bobcat! That was cool. The one I saw was not as big as I thought they were. Maybe I just saw a small one.
This swine flu thing has me scratching my head a little bit.  On the one hand, all the hype is making me really want to protect my pregnant wife.  All the stores here are sold out of hand sanitizer and face masks, and people are actually starting to wear them in public.  There were two cases in Marin County already, so its really close to home.  The thing that has me scratching my head is, why all the hype?  So there have been several hundred cases across the world already,  but last time I checked, 6.5 billion people live on the earth, and out of a couple hundred thousand people living in this county, two have tested positive for the disease.  As a result, hospitals are being overrun and are setting up tents outside to accommodate all the masses of people, the entire country of Mexico is shut down, and no one is shaking hands in order to avoid passing on the virus.  Now, I understand the concern over a pandemic, the virus can be passed on pretty easily and people have died from it.  Isn't the common flu virus passed around every year?  Don't thousands, maybe even millions of people catch the flu?  And I would think that in Mexico, where healthcare is not nearly as advanced and available as ours is, a lot more people would die of it than in America, especially those who are in unstable health anyway.  I'm not saying that this pig flu is the same as common flu, I understand it is new and not fully understood yet, so people are just being cautious, right?  This just has me confused.  By the way, this is not a political rant, although I could pretty easily tie it together.  I'm just sayin'.

No comments: