Friday, January 15, 2010

... Failure

Yeah, so I don't know what happened yesterday on the GMAT, but it certainly did not go as planned. My first score was 560. My goal was to get 600 or better the second time around. I did everything I could think to possibly do in order to get it. After exceeding my goal in practice simulations I was pretty confident going in. I knew what was on the test and I had a good strategy. I had gone over and over and over again the questions I had missed on the practice tests, and I felt really good...

The first four or five math questions were brutal -- I don't think I got any of them right. I don't even know where they came from. The subject matter, as I remember it, was not covered by any of my study guides or touched on by my practice tests. If you know about the GMAT, then you know that the first ten questions are the most important -- if you miss even one of them you are stuck below a certain scoring threshold. I spent a lot of time on them (getting them wrong) and fell behind on time. So in order to make up that time I had to rush through several questions that I could have gotten right if I'd left time for myself.

My score on the math section was worse than the first time I took the test. Bad news, since that is the part that most college admissions scrutinize most. So much for getting college algebra waived... On the other hand, I almost aced the written section of the test. I dramatically improved on my first score, enough to bring my total GMAT score up to 580, a 20-point overall improvement. Strange it worked out that way. I spent over 60 hours studying this math over the past few weeks (may not sound like that much, but I'm working full-time, Christmas is mixed in there, and I'm taking classes at UVU too) and I didn't even look at the written material. Where is the logic in my math scores dropping and my written scores improving? Doesn't make any sense.

So that was a blow. I don't think a 20-point improvement due to better performance in the written section will get me a better chance than my first score would have gotten me. Still, I sent U of U the results and I am in contact with the director of admissions. Hopefully I can talk him into taking a chance on me. If they don't... Looks like we'll be living with Tamara's parents for a long time. I'm trying hard to figure out what the Lord wants us to do. Going back for an MBA makes a lot of sense, and I am trying SO hard to make it happen, but when I have done everything I can possibly conceive to do, including praying my hardest and trying my best to live right, and I end up failing like this... It is tough. All I can do though is keeping trying to live like I am supposed to do and trust the Lord. Eventually maybe He will send me a signal that I can read.

7 comments:

Joel said...

Take solace in the fact that you ARE doing the right thing. Just because the result isn't expected doesn't mean you failed, not even remotely. You still may get in, you may not. Whatever happens, be satisfies that you did what you felt was right, and that you included the Lord in your decisions. That's the key. If you haven't read it in a while, give a read to 'Cast not away therefore thy confidence' by Elder Holland.

You made your decision to go this route in good faith, good honest pure faith. Trust that you'll get your blessing out of it, even if you still can't see it. It may not be the U of U MBA program as nice as that would be, it could be another opportunity in 6 months that wouldn't be possible if you get in; the Lord just wanted to see if you'd do what you felt and were asked to do.

Beats me man... all I know is the right thing to always do is keep the faith, and never fear righteousness. You're doing the right things in life, don't be fearful for your future. You're in the right place, doing the right things; you WILL get the right results. :)

PS - Avatar 3D next week - let's go!

Amberly said...

Total bummer. God likes to test us in interesting ways, doesn't he? I can imagine it's pretty frustrating, 'cause you'll pick a path that seems right, and then a door gets slammed in your face. Harsh.

I know it's expensive, but is there any way you could give the test one more go-around? If it was just a matter of some really random starting questions, maybe you'd have success giving it one more shot? Probably doesn't sound like much fun, but what a demonstration of determination that would be! :)

Ryan the Man said...

I could take the test again but the deadline to have all admission information for Fall 2010 was yesterday so it wouldn't do me any good, at least not this year. Thanks for the encouragement and helpful thoughts. I will look up that talk, Joel.

Joel said...

It's a good talk. That and the ... Gardner? Talk by Hugh B. Brown also came to mind. I'll see if I can find out the real name of that.

I just came across a nice thought by a BYU Religion teacher whom I actually think has his stuff together (I've heard stories from friends about some of the "Gospel" they heard in religion class at the Y that makes my blood boil). He said this:

"When I finally discovered that the presence of the Spirit was Heavenly Father's way of telling me that I was doing as well as He expected me to do, given the amount of light and knowledge He had given me, it changed my entire life."

I've never thought of feeling the Spirit in that light. Something worth thinking about I feel.... The End :)

Unknown said...

Ryan,

If you really want it, don't give up. I know your character, you're not a quitter. Your still young. Take it 15 more times if you have too. Show 'em.

Brianne said...

Don't give up. Even if it means taking a GMAT prep course and applying for the fall of 2011. The time will pass anyway and you are still young! Jeff didn't get accepted to law school the first 2 years he applied. He finally applied to some schools that would accept him and he was 31 when he finally graduated. He could've just kept working at the crappy job he had back then and not kept trying to get into school, but then he would've gone nowhere.
You can do it! Even if it takes longer than you were planning on.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]