Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek: Yes. Critics: No.

Tamara's due date is Monday, so considering that we probably won't get to many movies for a while, we're trying to sqeeze in as many as we can.  We went and saw Star Trek tonight.  I was interested because it was directed by JJ Abrams, and I am a fan of all his work that I have seen before (Lost, Cloverfield, and Fringe).  Without getting too involved in this, I will say that I think I would have liked the movie better if it weren't for all the hype.  The tomatometer is at 96%, a feat few films have accomplished (The Dark Knight and Lord of the Rings movies were right there).  So I went into it thinking this movie would have to be about as good as those.  Nope.  Not by a long shot.  In fact, I thought Wolverine, which got a measly 37%, was a far better movie.  I didn't like the actor who played Kirk, and several scenes were cheesy and confusing and just didn't make any sense.  Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, beautifully directed, and fun to watch, but it was nowhere near as good as a 96% movie should be.  Sometimes it felt like a high-school play version of the old Star Trek movies  That said, its definitely worth seeing, but don't pay more than a buck for your ticket.  

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ooooh, I have to say I totally disagree! It might not be up to par with The Dark Knight or LOTR, but not much is!! I went to see Star Trek not expecting a whole lot out of it, and I absolutely loved it! You really can't go to any movie expecting it to be as good as Dark Knight or LOTR... I think this movie is definitely worth the money though... and I thought Kirk did a really good job... I thought the cast was close to perfect!

Bethanie said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been skeptical. The first time I saw the preview for it, I immediately thought of a teenage soap opera version of Star Trek. I even went so far as to say it out loud and earned myself more than a few dirty looks. Don't worry, Chelsea, I'll still go see it, but my hopes aren't very high.

Ryan the Man said...

Then Bethanie, you will probably like it. Tamara's expectations were low as well, and she really liked it. I just think it is blasphemous that the critics scored this movie so high when it is little better than average. Chelsea, I am not saying it is a bad movie, I am just saying it wasn't as good as Wolverine and shouldn't have gotten such rave reviews. It was good, but not that good.

Chelsea said...

I still disagree!! It's once of the best movies I've seen in a long time. :)

Joel said...

I think it pulls ahead of Wolverine actually... the characters were great and well cast, the classic lines thrown in were awesome. Leonard Nimoy loved his dentures... I really liked it. :) Neener!